Monday, August 21, 2006

To Give Or Not To Give....

I have been dealing with this situation since Friday, and quite frankly I am exhausted. Here's what happened in detail. You be the judge:

The Jimmy V Foundation (prpro1@earthlink.net) calls me sometime in June, eager (and I stress eager) to have John attend this golf tournament. Okay...a no brainer. It's in North Carolina, it's for a good cause and John likes to golf. Done.

With that the Foundation books our flights. They book our hotel rooms, and they even ask if it's okay to use John's photo on a billboard. I repeat...A BILLBOARD. And the CEO of Jimmy V Foundation doesn't know about this? Does he ever drive through town?

Mysteriously, 5 weeks later I get the unpleasant phone call. "We're sorry - and we're sick over it - but John cannot attend." Just like that. Explanation please? I'm sorry, was this not a charitable organization? Is John not a human being entitled to an explanation? You ask him to clear his schedule, purchase several hundred photos for fans, use his name and photo for advertising (which they tell me John's been the biggest draw for the event) and we cannot get as much as an explanation? Am I missing something? Not to mention that they leave it to me to deliver the bad news. Bad manners and spineless.

Okay, not the end of the world but what about the fans I ask? What about the Dad who brings his 8 and 12 year olds, who stand around all morning clutching onto their baseball, waiting for John to show up and sign it? What about them?

"I'm sorry," is all I get.

So I do what any pit-bulling, image-protecting publicist would do. I go to the media in the hopes that they would at least give John the opportunity to let his fans know he didn't let them down and that his absence at the event is out of his control. And how do you think that turned out? Well, this is exactly how it turned out:

After a long conversation about - and only about - the Jimmy V Foundation with Mike S. (mikes@850thebuzz) at 850 the Buzz in North Carolina, he agrees to give John the opportunity to go on air and talk about it. At 4:40 today John calls in to host Chris Clark, and Chris says, "First let's talk sports." From there he goes into the Yankees, the Red Sox, relief pitchers, etc. When he's done he says, "Hey John, thanks for coming on." And with that the interview is over.

As I listen to the interview like a deer caught in headlights, I am wondering if I have somehow drifted off into the Twilight Zone. I waste no time calling Mike S. to find out what happened and he acts as if this was never supposed to be about the Jimmy V incident. Was I the only one having the conversation? Did I send that press release and discuss the situation him because I had nothing better to do?!!

Why is it that when John does something deemed inappropriate, the national media smears his name all over town, calls me day and night trying to get an interview and jabbers on about it ad nauseum, yet when something inappropriate is done to him, everyone acts like it never happened. Coincidence, media conspiracy or something else?....You be the judge.

Here is a response from the Jimmy V Foundation to one of John's fans. Notice how they cleverly "imply" John backed out:

"We don't uninvite anyone. Things come up with a celebrity and they have to back out. This happens all the time. If you notice, there have been many changes within the last 2 weeks. The list changes up until the Friday before the tournament. No one gets univited."

PS...John is grateful to all his fans who emailed the Jimmy V Foundation in his defense.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what a bunch of losers over at the Jimmy V foundation. Way to treat a celebrity.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Jimmy V foundation is trying to raise money for cancer. Maybe they should try spending a little money for a backbone. What a (expletive deleted) way to treat any human being regardless of whether he is a celebrity.

If the Jimmy V foundation calls up my company for support, I will flatly refuse to support them.

Fans of John unite and send $10 to the American Cancer Society in John Rocker's name.
---or---
Debi put up 120 autographed golf balls on Ebay with all proceeds going to the ACS.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Great idea. How about this: Any fan who sends me a $10 check made out to the American Cancer Society by the end of August will recieve an autographed baseball or 8x10 photo. I will take all the checks and send them with a letter stating that John's fans donated this money in support of cancer research since John wasn't welcome at the Jimmy V event.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A VERY GREAT IDEA... I too did e-mail the V foundation and said that it was just NOT right totreat people like this they are asking people for money but yet the want to treat people like this. I just don't get it, is this is the way we raise our kids to grow up to be snobs??? I would love to give $10 just tell me where to send it at.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Go to www.johnrocker.net. All the info is there.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debi,

People are absolutely bi-polar.

John, and his family are Great Americans. In his hometown, we're proud of him.

Maurice A.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sending you $10 for ACS in John's name. I e-mailed the Director of the V-foundation to express my displeasure. I suggest John do an interview with Bill O'Reilly on FOX The O'Reilly Factor.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called the number that was given to me and ask why John was ask not to attend and he said I have no clue. I then expressed to him that I thought that it was wrong the way John was treated and he said I agree. I also told him that it did not look good on the foundation to invite John and have fans going expecting to see him and he said he also agreed and that he would pass the word along.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

prpro1@earthlink wont even reply to my emails. they treat people like garbage. john rocker forever!!! it would be sweet to see you pitch again like the postseason in ATL....awesome stuff!!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debi.
all I can say is you are a person with MUCH more reserve then myself. I have been a fan and supported John for the last 10 years. I have gladly blessed people out in the past and will continue. You need any help.. pass them along! I will gladly put them in their place. without hesitation! lol

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John is such a sexy stud..... Too bad he isn't gay :)

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOO BAD YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should take up tennis!

Gag a maggot! You just ruined my day.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm gay and I'm proud of it.

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home